The first annual Leagues Cup competition kicks off on July 23, but the tournament is already expanding.
Major League Soccer and Liga MX announced that the tournament field will double in 2020 from 8 participating clubs to 16, evenly split between the two leagues.
2020 Leagues Cup qualification
Excluding MLS clubs playing in the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League, the eight clubs from MLS will be comprised of:
- Top four teams in the 2019 Eastern Conference standings NOT already qualified to 2020 Concacaf Champions League
- Top four teams in the 2019 Western Conference standings NOT already qualified to 2020 Concacaf Champions League.
The eight-team contingent from Liga MX in 2020 will include:
- 2019 Apertura champion
- 2020 Clausura champion
- 2019-20 Copa MX champion
- top five teams in combined Apertura 2019-Clausura 2020 standings NOT already qualified for Leagues Cup.
2019 quarterfinals underway July 23
The 2019 inaugural Leagues Cup will get underway with the quarterfinal stage on July 23-24 and MLS clubs will host the single-elimination matches:
- July 23: Chicago Fire vs. Cruz Azul (8:30ET on ESPN+, UDN, TSN GO)
- July 23: LA Galaxy vs. Club Tijuana (11ET on ESPN. UDN, TSN1/4)
- July 24: Houston Dynamo vs. Club America (8:30ET on ESPN+, UDN, TSN GO)
- July 24: Real Salt Lake vs. Tigres UANL (10:30ET on ESPN+, UDN, TSN GO)
The semifinals are scheduled for Tues., Aug. 20 and the final is set for Sept. 18 at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas.